The following are technologies that I have expertise and experience working with and in.
Bolded names indicate technologies I have more expertise in. This means over 4 years of professional experience and with which I've created new application or systems.
||Used professionally for many years. I've written many applications, scripts and tools with it. I have to say I really like it.
||Used to enhance and run web applications.
||I've used it in many situations for web applications, data loads, reporting and updates.
|Shell Scripting (Bash, Ksh and sh).
||It is the backbone of unix development and productivity
||I've used for several commercial web applications.
||I've done mainly maintenance and limited new development.
||Performed maintenance on existing code bases, created Perl XS interfaces and debugged Open Source software builds.
||Toyed around with Flask and fixed some issues in existing code.
The following contains markup languages, frameworks, template and other web related technologies
|HTML & CSS
||Used it for years and years and years|
|Dancer||Web Framework||Build a many web applications using it.|
||I've use this as my primary templating language for Perl web dev in the last few years
||Used for all new web app projects, its configured to serve static content and site infront of app servers
|Apache (1.3 & 2.x)
||Web Server ||Apache 1.x used heavily, moving applications to Apache 2.x
|mod_perl 1.x (2.x) ||Framework ||I've written many application that used mod_perl 1.x.
|SOAP||Web Services||Supported several clients using SOAP::Lite and used gsoap for C based client.|
|XML||Markup Language ||Created formats and consumed lots of them in
applications in the form of RSS feeds and configuration files. |
|CGI::Application||Web Framework||Used for 10+ small and medium sized web applications
|HTML::Mason||Template||Created large multi-user web application with it, helped to maintain other smaller projects.|
|Squid||Proxy/Caching Server ||Used for a few different custom setup
|Catalyst||Web Framework||Built a few toy applications|
|CakePHP||Web Framework||Large multi user application|
|Savant||Templating Language||Reskinned admin interface using it|
|Subversion||For nearly all source control|
|Vim||Main development IDE |
|Unix Power Tools (make, awk, cut, sed, etc..)||Timeless in their usefulness|
|CVS||Haven't used it in years but did heavily in the past|
|GIT||Used with open source projects on github|
|JBuilder||For Java applets|
|Eclispe||For Java Applets|
Return to top
Director of Technology, Spark Pay, 2014-present, Capital One
I lead the Spark Pay technology teams. My teams are responsible for building and running the Spark Pay platform and working very closely with the Spark Pay mobile teams. My organization has four engineering and one devops teams. In the last year, we grew from four teams and over doubled in the number of engineers.
During the last year, Spark Pay launched a number of significant new features, including many internal changes leading to a more robust and stable platform and critical merchant features. Our technology team, myself included, is very tightly partnered with the product team to deliver critical business value.
- Evaluate and adopt new technologies, partners and stacks both inside Capital One and outside. (including writing code and prototypes)
- Set and execute tactical and strategic direction for Spark Pay
- Collaborate with leadership team on direction for Small Business Technology Organization
Cofounder/Technology, 2011-present, 3Ring
Lead technology development of 3Ring (non-profit) to develop high quality instructional resources in science and web-based tools to help beginning teachers put these resources into practice. Including system architecture, coding and other fun stuff
Web/Lead/Managing Software Engineer, 2013-2014, Capital One
Part of team that built Spark Pay web application using Perl Dancer, DBIx, Template Toolkit, jQuery, Bootstrap and Backbone. Working closely with UX Team, Business leaders and other development team members. Manage small team delegating new features and incoming issue along with internal development priorities. Integrated partners and vendor tool sets into service.
See list from ChargeSmart position below.
Principle SW Design Software Engineer, 2012-present, VeriFone
Building web application using Perl Dancer, Template Toolkit, jQuery and Bootstrap. Working closely with UX designer, Business leaders and other development team members.
See list from ChargeSmart position below.
Note: ChargeSmart was acquired by VeriFone in Jan 2012
Lead Software Engineer 2011-2012, ChargeSmart LLC
Focused on building web application using Perl Dancer, Template Toolkit and JQuery.
- Developed custom application using Perl Dancer
- Converted HTML/CSS mockups from designers into application templates
- Created Perl Dancer plugins for custom business functions such as communicating with 3rd party APIs, validating custom data elements and database access.
- Created new tests and update existing unit tests using Test::* suite and Dancer::Test
- Enhanced UI with JQuery making AJAX calls to validate user inputs and load dynamic elements
- Extend and update to REST API and created client API library
Primary web application engineer in Pricing software development group. I work very closely with evaluator groups in different regions to create and refine applications and systems to help evaluators increase their productive and accuracy. The applications help evaluators manage large sets of inputs for fixed income pricing products, perform data accuracy checks verification, import and collect information to forward to external customers.
- Technical lead for company wide technical infrastructure upgrade project. I preformed technology design, documentation, prototyping and testing. I worked to migrating several different groups web applications to new testing and production environments.
- Project Lead on system developed that integrated Excel models with web application and back end data systems. It required creating Excel VBA Macros that would upload pricing data to web service then have user complete quality check and production load of data with authenticated web application. The project required close coordination with Reuters Pricing Desk and extensive end to end testing of application. The project increased desk productivity by reducing multiple uploads at time critical moments and allowed evaluators to immediately perform quality assurance to reduce errors caught later in the process.
- Member of small team that built web application and back end system that generated large data sets of items that exceeded set price tolerance levels. The system provides users with an interface to selected predefined answers with autocomplete or create custom responses, admin dashboard to summarize progress and deliver results to customers. The system used YUI for web application UI elements and mod_perl for web back end performance.
- Created many web applications (using Perl, CGI::Application, Template Toolkit and HTML/CSS/JS for specific business sectors and needs to allow evaluators to increase productivity, reduce errors and increase accountability for users.
- Maintained a variety of software products written in Perl, Shell Scripting (ksh, sh), Java and VBA, these included Java Applets, data validation, db store, retrieval and insertion applications,
- Created and maintained data wrangling Perl programs and shell scripts (with UNIX tools), these programs extracted data from specially formatted files, Sybase databases, and Excel spreadsheets, performed data validation, collated data sources and feed back into other databases, file or data network systems.
- Converted Thomson Reuters web style guide and example pages into web application templates for general use by pricing group developers.
Defined and migrated existing applications to new shared authentication infrastructure. The system was used by web applications and client applications. Refined the system to meet SAS 70 requirements.
Software Engineer focused on Internet facing services that integrated closely with private network services. The majority of roles focused on web application development. The applications provided high throughput storage and transfer services to important external customers.
- Researched new technologies and created reports detailing areas to integrate with existing infrastructure. Some areas of focus included content management systems, new vendor offerings for existing services and alternative web frameworks.
Maintained a variety of software products/services. Products include custom FTP server and proxy software, Perl SOAP client library, C libraries and daemons and Java Applet.
- Provided technical sales support for customer meetings, trade shows, sales proposals and built sales demonstration sites.
System Engineer 1999-2001
Responsible for installing and providing third tier support of Internet storage application. Designed system architecture, created various forms of documentation and researched technical issues. Reported bugs to development, often with patches or recommendations for resolution. Configured operating systems, servers and storage systems
- Installed, configured and diagonased many internal and external software packages including in house web applications and raid software.
- Compiled and configured numerous open source packages for use in services, such as Apache web server and Squid caching server.
- Wrote database tools to provide data feeds to billing group and various reports. Some reports were used by Sales and Marketing to evaluate service usage and identify customer to target for up selling.
- Diagnosed internetworking issues, including IP connectivity over LANs and WANs, and between UNIX, Mac and Window computers with protocols like Appletalk, NFS, FTP and CIFS
Team Lead Tier2/Major Accounts Technical Support 1997-1999
Managed team of 6-8 individuals that supported WAM!NET largest and most visible customers 24 hours/7 days a week. Prioritized technical issues and managed customer expectations and communications. Provided job performance information to Technical Support manager and training recommendations. Traveled to perform on-site hardware and software maintenance and provide customer training. Reviewed and authorized technical escalations from the Technical Services Department to System Engineering and Software Development.
Consultant and Intern, 1997-1996, Greystone
Main technical person at small computer training and consulting company. Developed client applications with MS Access 95 and 97. Installed and repaired customer LANs. Built, upgraded and repaired customer computers. Advised customers and owner on computer equipment purchases.
Return to top